The internet has had a huge impact on the food delivery industry and as a result the demand for food couriers is higher than ever.
If you own a motorcycle and are interested in working as a food courier, then below is a guide to help you get started.
The first thing you’ll need to do is find work, whether it’s working freelance or for a company. Check online job sites and local newspaper listings for food delivery jobs regularly. Food delivery work is usually not too hard to find, especially in London. Although it will certainly be easier to find work if you have experience, it’s still possible to get work even if you’re a young driver with little-to-no experience in the food delivery industry.
Something you will definitely need in order to work as a motorcycle courier is the right type of insurance. A typical courier insurance policy will include the following types of cover –
- Road risks – You can choose from the usual types of cover here – third party only; third party, fire and theft; and fully comprehensive.
- Public liability – Liability claims from the public are always a risk when you drive for a living. If you were involved in an incident where a member of public was injured or killed then you could easily end up having to fight a liability claim so this type of cover is highly recommended.
- Breakdown assistance – If you don’t already have breakdown assistance for your bike then you can have it included as part of your insurance policy. Sometimes it’s cheaper to get breakdown assistance as part of your insurance so it’s definitely worth enquiring how much extra it would costs.
Practical aspects of the job
- Road safety – Road safety is extremely important when you work as a food delivery courier, especially when you’re using a motorcycle. On a motorcycle, you’re completely exposed and cars often can’t see you so you need to take extra car when on the roads, especially during rush hour traffic.
- Hours – Although a lot of food delivery is done during peak hours around dinner time, this isn’t always the case and you may have to work anti-social hours depending on the type of business you work for.