If you’ve ever thought about becoming a London black cab driver then the first thing you should know is that it’s not easy. In addition to meeting the minimum requirements to apply for a taxi driver’s licence you must also be able to demonstrate an intimate knowledge of the capital’s roads and landmarks as well as being equipped to deal with the stresses that driving in such a congested city brings.
Below are some of the key requirements to work as a black cab driver in London –
- You must be at least 21 years old – Although you can apply for a taxi driver’s licence from the age of 18, you cannot actually be licensed until you’re 21.
- You must be eligible to live and work full time in the UK – It stands to reason that if you want to work as a black cab driver in London then you’ll need to be legally able to work in the UK on a full time basis.
- You have a full UK driver’s licence – This is another minimum requirement to apply for a taxi driver’s licence.
Further requirements include –
- Passing the ‘Knowledge’ test – All London black cab drivers must pass the Knowledge test, which shows they have comprehensive knowledge of London’s roads and landmarks and what the best route for a particular journey would be.
- Being in good physical health – You must also pass a medical test that shows you’re in good enough shape to work and not suffering from any serious medical conditions.
- Not have any serious convictions – If you have any serious convictions on your record then it’s very unlikely that you’ll be cleared to work as a black cab driver.
Getting black cab insurance
If you work as a black cab driver, then you’ll need to get black cab insurance to cover you for road risks, liability claims, loss of licence etc. There are many excellent sites where you can easily get black cab insurance quotes, such as Multiquote Taxi. Insurance comparison sites like this enable you to get quotes from different providers by filling out one simple form.
Getting quotes from different insurers is just one of the ways you can save money on black cab insurance. Other ways include –
- Having somewhere secure to park your cab when not in use
- Installing security features
- Paying for your policy annually rather than monthly
- Increasing your excess